2017 FINALISTS AND WINNERS
The Pittsburgh Black Media Federation congratulates the finalists in the professional contest and winners in the student contest of the 29th annual Robert L. Vann Media Awards. To see the lists of winners and finalists, click the Vann 2017 news release.
‘The Power of Our Voices’
6 p.m. May 2, 2017
University of Pittsburgh
O’Hara Student Center
4024 O’Hara St., Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (Oakland)
Co-hosts: Lisa Washington, KDKA journalist, and Harold Hayes, former veteran KDKA journalist
Featured musical guests: Lyndsey Smith and Soul Distribution
The Pittsburgh Black Media Federation’s 29th annual Robert L. Vann Media Awards Dinner will honor excellence in journalism coverage of African-American and African diaspora communities, individuals and issues in Western Pennsylvania.
Join PBMF for a fantastic evening, at which the Pittsburgh area’s leading and upcoming media professionals will gather to recognize journalism that exemplifies the event’s theme, “The Power of Our Voices.”
Powerhouse musical group Lyndsey Smith and Soul Distribution will provide live entertainment.
In addition to presenting Awards of Excellence to professional and student journalists in various categories, the Vann program will recognize the following special honorees:
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.’s Alpha Omicron Lambda chapter, for its literacy program at Dilworth Elementary School, Literacy Champion Award winner
- Lynne Hayes-Freeland, KDKA reporter, Legacy Award winner
- Dr. James and Pam Johnson, founders of the Afro American Music Institute, Communicator of the Year Award winners
- Damon Young, co-founder of VerySmartBrothas.com, Trailblazer Award winner
- Regis Bobonis Sr., the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s first black reporter, and Cathy Milton, a former WTAE reporter, both in memoriam
Buy tickets and sponsorships below.
Please direct any questions to Vann Committee Director Ervin Dyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-624-4796.
AWARDS DINNER TICKETS
The 29th annual Robert L. Vann Media Awards Dinner will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 2, 2017, at the University of Pittsburgh’s O’Hara Student Center ballroom, 2nd floor, 4024 O’Hara St., Oakland.
Tickets are $20 each for students, $30 each for PBMF members and $40 each for nonmembers.
Ticket sales will end April 25. No tickets will be sold at the door.
Purchase tickets using the PayPal link below.
Membership will be verified for those buying PBMF member tickets. College identification will be checked at the door at the May 2 awards dinner for those buying student tickets.
The Vann program helps support PBMF initiatives, such as college scholarships for graduates of PBMF’s journalism workshop for teens, professional development programs and community service projects. Sponsorships help to make this possible.
The following sponsorship options are available:
- Emerging Journo, $30: buy two seats for student journalists and be listed in the program booklet
- The Tip, $50: a business card-size ad inside the program booklet
- The Collegiate, $100: a student can promote a blog or other business in a half-page ad
- The Breaking News, $200: half-page ad inside the program booklet
- The Lede, $350: full-page ad inside the program booklet
- The Deadline, $700: half-page ad inside the program booklet, one table (10 tickets), recognition at the awards program and on PBMF’s website
- Sweeps, $1,000: full-page ad inside the program booklet, one table (10 tickets), recognition at the awards program and on PBMF’s website and social media engagement
- The Vann, $1,500: full-page ad on the back of the program booklet, one table (10 tickets), recognition at the awards program and on PBMF’s website and social media engagement
The program book pages will be 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches.
Please email a camera-ready ad that is 8 inches by 10.5 inches, except business card ads, for ALL ADS in JPEG format to email@example.com. The program designer can reduce the size of ads for half-pages if needed.
April 25 is the deadline to buy sponsorships.
Buy sponsorships using the PayPal link below.
HISTORY OF THE AWARDS
In 1988, the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation established the Robert L. Vann Media Awards to honor excellence in journalism coverage of the African-American community. The awards program was named in honor of the late Robert L. Vann, legendary publisher of the Pittsburgh Courier, to recognize his personal commitment to journalism and to creating a voice for the black community.
PAST WINNERS & FINALISTS
See the list of 2016 Robert L. Vann Media Awards winners: Vann 2016 winners.
See the list of 2016 Robert L. Vann Media Awards finalists: Vann news release 4-14-16 – REVISED PDF.
See the list of 2015 Robert L. Vann Media Awards winners: Robert L. Vann Awards Winners 2015.
See the list of 2015 Robert L. Vann Media Awards finalists: Vann 2015 finalists news release – 3-31-15.