28TH ANNUAL ROBERT L. VANN MEDIA AWARDS DINNER
The 28th annual Robert L. Vann Media Awards program, which will include dinner, will start at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 12, 2016, at the University of Pittsburgh’s O’Hara Student Center ballroom, 2nd floor, 4024 O’Hara St., Oakland. The event will celebrate the best of print, broadcast, photography and online journalism coverage of the African-American community of Western Pennsylvania.
ABOUT THE AWARDS
In 1988, the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation established the Robert L. Vann Media Awards to honor excellence in journalism coverage of the African-American community. The awards program was named in honor of the late Robert L. Vann, legendary publisher of the Pittsburgh Courier, to recognize his personal commitment to journalism and to creating a voice for the black community.
See the list of 2015 Robert L. Vann Media Awards winners: Robert L. Vann Awards Winners 2015.
See the list of 2015 Robert L. Vann Media Awards finalists: Vann 2015 finalists news release – 3-31-15.
Buy tickets for the May 12 awards dinner in advance using the PayPal link below. Tickets are $15 each for PBMF members and $20 each for nonmembers until Friday, May 6. After May 6, all tickets must be purchased at the door for $25 each. PBMF membership will be verified for those buying tickets at the discounted rate.
Tickets purchased online will not be mailed. Your receipt is your ticket.
The annual Vann program helps support PBMF initiatives, such as college scholarships for graduates of PBMF’s Frank Bolden Urban Journalism Workshop for teens, professional development events for PBMF members and community service projects. PBMF would be honored if your organization would become a Vann awards sponsor, which would assist the federation in carrying out its programming. The available sponsorship options are as follows:
- Half-page ad, $125: half-page ad inside the program booklet.
- Full-page ad, $200: full-page ad inside the program booklet.
- Sponsorship package 1, $350: half-page ad inside the program booklet, 1 table (10 tickets), recognition at the awards program and on PBMF’s website.
- Sponsorship package 2, $700: full-page ad inside the program booklet, 1 table (10 tickets), recognition at the awards program and on PBMF’s website and social media engagement (two tweets).
- Sponsorship package 3, $1,000: full-page ad on the back of the program booklet, 1 table (10 tickets), recognition at the awards program and on PBMF’s website and social media engagement (two tweets and two Facebook posts).
Sponsorships may be purchased via the PayPal link below until Monday, April 25, 2016. Please send 4 x 5 camera-ready ads, preferably in JPEG format, to email@example.com.
For more information, call 412-339-0730 or email.
ENTER THE CONTEST
The contest is open to all communicators for newspapers, magazines, wire services, websites, and radio and television news stations in Western Pennsylvania. Submitted work must be related to journalism coverage of African-American and African Diaspora communities, individuals and issues of Western Pennsylvania.
2016 contest guidelines are as follows:
1. All entries must have been published in a newspaper or magazine or on a website, or aired on radio or television between Jan. 1, 2015, and Dec. 31, 2015.
2. The contest entry deadline is Feb. 26. Entries that are not postmarked or emailed by that date will be disqualified.
3. It is preferred that entries be submitted via email with a link to the article, broadcast and/or photo or an attached PDF or JPEG, with the category and subcategory indicated on the submission. Each email should contain entries for only one category and its appropriate subcategory. To send a hard copy or other physical record via postal mail, please forward two copies on DVDs or two copies of each printed entry.
4. Contest fees are $30 per entry for PBMF members and $40 per entry for nonmembers. An individual or organization may submit multiple entries in each category. An entry produced by a group of people may receive the discounted fee only if all the members of the group are PBMF members. One payment may cover multiple entries. No entry without an accompanying fee will be accepted.
5. Payments may be made via PayPal at the bottom of this page. To pay with a check via postal mail, make the check payable to the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation and send it to Pittsburgh Black Media Federation, c/o Ervin Dyer, P.O. Box 292, Pittsburgh, PA 15230.
6. All entries become the property of PBMF. Do not send irreplaceable materials. Entries will not be used for any purpose beyond judging. PBMF does not assume responsibility for receipt of entries or damage for loss in transit for judging.
7. Entries may be emailed to RobertLVannAwards@gmail.com or mailed to Pittsburgh Black Media Federation, c/o Ervin Dyer, P.O. Box 292, Pittsburgh, PA 15230. In the body of the email or in the mailed package, please include the following information: name of the media outlet, date the entry was published or broadcast, title of the entry, contest category and subcategory under which the entry is being submitted, name of winner as it would appear on award and a phone number.
8. Finalists will be announced in March. Winners will be announced at the May 12 awards dinner.
Entries that do not meet the specifications outlined in this call-for-entry form will be disqualified. PBMF reserves the right to re-categorize entries. Entrants will be notified that a category correction has been made.
Materials submitted will be judged by a panel of recognized journalism professionals selected by PBMF. The panel is made up of out-of-state journalists. One award will be made in each subcategory in which judges find merit. Decisions are final. The judges may elect not to give an award in a category.
Print and Illustration/Graphics (newspapers, wire services, websites or magazines)
It is preferred that entries be sent via emailed files or links. To submit a hard copy by postal mail, entries must be posted neatly on 8.5 inch x 11 inch white paper and enclosed in a protective folder. Place entry in a folder with the completed entry form. For digital entries, editors must verify the original date of publication.
Broadcast (television or radio)
All entries should be made either in the name of the station or the individuals most responsible for the entry, e.g., writer or producer. ALL ENTRIES MUST HAVE BEEN BROADCAST, or produced and posted on a website. In the case of entries involving the work of more than one person, indicate the name of the person(s) or the office or department to which an award should be presented. Videos can be on DVD or be sent via an emailed link, and should include names of writers and news channels or websites. Radio entries also can be submitted on CD or via an online link.
All entries for print or broadcast must be in one of the following subcategories:
Photography entries can be an 8 inch x 11 inch glossy print that has been published or sent as a high-resolution electronic file. Illustration entries must be mounted on 8 inch x 11 inch board or can be sent as a high-resolution electronic file. Both must include cut lines, if applicable, dates of publication and the names and affiliations of the photographers or illustrators must be attached to the back of the prints. Electronic submissions must be high-resolution JPEG images that are approximately 10 MB when open, 170 dpi at 9 inches x 13 inches for the image dimensions. Use RGB mode only with no layers in Photoshop. Include subcategory information with electronic submissions.
All entries for photography/illustration must be in one of the following subcategories:
For more information, contact Vann Media Awards Co-chair Ervin Dyer at 412-624-4796 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Co-chair Tory N. Parrish at 412-339-0730 or email@example.com.