About the Awards
In 1983, the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation established the Robert L. Vann Awards to honor excellence in journalism coverage of the African-American community.
The contest is open to all communicators for newspapers, magazines, wire services, websites, radio and television stations in Western Pennsylvania.
Contest guidelines are as follows:
1. All entries must have been published in a newspaper/magazine/website or aired on radio or television between Jan. 1, 2012, and Dec. 31, 2012.
2. If using the U.S. Postal Service, two copies of each entry must be received by the contest coordinators by April 30, 2013. Entries received after the deadline will be disqualified. Electronic submissions sent via email require only one copy and must feature the category and subcategory information in the email’s subject line.
3. Contest fees are $40 per entry. An individual or organization may submit multiple entries in each category; one check may cover the entries. Any entry received without an accompanying fee will not be accepted.
4. All entries become the property of the PBMF. Do not send irreplaceable materials. When possible, please include broadcast/audiotape or DVD or scripts.
5. Each entry should be separately packaged, with the category and sub-category printed on the outside. Entry fee checks should be made payable to the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation and should be a separate envelope with the completed entry form inside the mailed package. Electronic entries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Send all print entries and fees to:
34 Boulevard of the Allies
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
For more information, please call Ervin Dyer at 412-624-4796 or Deborah Todd at 412-263-1652.
In recognition of the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation’s 40th year, this year’s annual Robert L. Vann Awards ceremony will fall in conjunction with an anniversary celebration in September. More details to come.
Entries that do not meet the specifications outlined in this call-for-entry form will be disqualified. PBMF reserves the right to re-categorize entries. Entrants will be notified that a category correction has been made.
Materials submitted will be judged by a panel of recognized journalism professionals selected by PBMF. One award will be made in each sub-category where judges find merit. Decisions are final. The judges may elect not to give an award in a category.
All prize-winning entries become the property of the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation. PBMF does not assume responsibility for receipt of entries or damage or loss in transit for judging.
Print and Illustration/Graphics
Newspapers, wire services, websites or magazines
All entries must be neatly posted or printed on 8.5-inch x11-inch white paper. In a digital age, stories, images, graphics can be downloaded from websites. If that is the case, editors must verify the original date of publication. If the organization prefers, stories, photos, images, graphics can be cut from newspapers/magazines and pasted to 8.5 inch x 11 inch paper. Place entries in folder with the completed entry form.
Television or radio
All entries should be made either in the name of the station or the individuals most responsible for the entry, e.g. writer, reporter, or producer. ALL ENTRIES MUST HAVE BEEN BROADCAST on posted on WEBSITES where they were part of news content. In the case of entries involving the work of more than one person, please indicate the name of the person(s) or the office or department to which an award should be presented. Please submit with the following with each video or audiotape:
- A summary of the program and its local significance
- A complete script as broadcast, if possible
- All videos must be on CD or DVD and should include names of writers. Radio entries can also be submitted on CD.
All entries for PRINT or BROADCAST must be in one of these sub-categories:
Photo entries must be an 8 inch x 11 inch glossy print that has been published. Illustration entries must be mounted on 8 inch x 11 inch board. Both must include cutline, if applicable, date of publication and the name and affiliations of the photographer or illustrator must be attached to the back of the print.
All entries for PHOTOGRAPHY must be in one of these sub-categories: